Friday, February 23, 2007

The Price of Wisdom



Its been a long time, and I am back to blogging today after having lost the only lower right second molar I ever or ever will have.

But first things first, I have been having a mad, terrifying and torrid romance with my Nikon D200. Its quite a demanding mistress and has consumed a lot of me already, but the pleasure is well.....indescribable. And its a lot of fun shooting with my Sigma 10-20mm and 50mm 1.8 nikkor lenses. The results are quite crackling and please check my flickr page (link ) for some samples. I have been travelling somewhat recently too and I will be making some posts about that too. I also came across this page recently and I found that I am pretty high up on the coolness meter but then I found I was being vain about it and that isnt COOL, so I wont talk about it any longer.

Now, for the wisdom part, well I have little of it and I did not want to lose what little I have. Therefore, since the last 10 years or so, i have been able to live on with 2 occasionally very painful, but usually quiet lower impacted molars. A friend of mine, who now is no more told me once that I would have to get these removed, but being the mule I am, I waited and waited. Until I found that my second molars (the teeth in front of the culprits) started to break in parts, and on both sides too. And it was quite a coincidence that this was in direct temporal proximity to having chewed on some very tough popcorn. And that too an year apart. After initial alarm, I found that the breaking away of the tooth actually reduced the pain and was thus welcome. Until about a week ago when I suddenly found myself unable to eat or talk properly. I then found it quite impossible to sit through a round in the ward, and that was just not due to boredom. I popped some diclofenac only to find the toothache reduced but replaced by a heartburn that would light a bushfire. So, with a heavy heart i found myself at the doorstep of a dentist friend who could not control his glee when he announced triumphantly that i would have to be relieved of the broken teeth. "What of the wisdom?", I enquired anxiously, and he said that he would have to see. So after a course of antibiotics and analgesics, I made my way to the dental chair today. Called up all my near and dear ones, including a girl I was in love with when i was in school to tell her how much I loved her. I suppose it is a bit of an anticlimax that I am back with my broken tooth in my pocket and with plans to get the other one removed in a couple of weeks. And its not too bad to gorge on ice cream without guilt (doctor's orders!!) either. But then, I still have my wisdom with me. But those who protected that wisdom and fell in that effort are now gone. You cant win all the time.


1 comment:

tatastha said...

I know of no more encouraging fact than the unquestioned ability of a man to elevate his life by conscious endeavor. You were brave and u shall be praised.

Locations of visitors to this page