Thursday, October 26, 2006

The Journey-2


I am hungry, I am tired, the Indian cricket team is getting a hiding yet again from the West Indies, and I have a seminar on the genetics of addiction to present tomorrow. I suppose no better reason to write this post then the above. I am like the light bulb above, wanna switch off.

The best thing about travelling alone is the freedom it affords. There were things I always wanted to do while on the road from Chandigarh to McLeodganj, and this time I indulged myself.

Once I reached close to Kangra, rhesus monkeys, loads of them started to make their appearence on both sides of the road. There are whole families and they haunt the road for handouts by passing drivers. there are boards everywhere advising people not to do so and not change the behavior of the monkeys but to no avail. Interestingly enough, even the locals sell bread for this purpose and make a quick buck themselves.

A view of the temple next to the Kangra fort. Its an amazingly beautiful plave and really did not have the lens to do it justice. The kangra fort overhangs the place, and ther is a confluence of two streams.

Boys on the river bank with their ponies. As is pervasive in all hills nowadays, there is construction everywhere. In a few years, they will be no longer the same.

The road is very narrow and steep, and one carelessness or selfishness by any one driver can lead to massive traffic jams, like the one above. I think the juxtaposition of the ponies and the vehicles makes for an interesting picture.

Stopped for tea in the Kangra town market. There was a diwali crowd in their best. This fellow was selling flowers and was happy to have his picture taken. The main road through Kangra is awesome, it has such magnificient views of the Dhauladhars. Unfortunately, this time it was all cloudy and shrouded. Each time I go there, the first sight of the mountains is the most awe inspiring spectacle ever. Some day I am going to take some pictures of that too.

No comments:

Locations of visitors to this page